"...to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up."
-Ephesians 4:12



Friday, January 30, 2009

Everfasting Life




Back in college, my friends and I would play this game where you make a word up that kind of describes a situation but might not quite be a word. For example:
1. If it was 32 degrees out, it would be like Nat King Cold outside
2. If I was really tired, I would be like Little Bo Sleep
3. If someone needed a shower, they were like Dirt and Eernie

You get the point. We had so much fun with that game. Little did I know it was preparing me to come up with future blog titles....The Everfasting Life would be a great name for a book though.

Anyway, as you know, 3 weeks ago, I started the Daniel Fast. This is my second time on a fast like this and have had an amazing time on them both.

It's called a Daniel Fast because 3 times in the book of Daniel, he talks about choosing to neglect certain foods for a period of times. In Daniel 10, he fasts for 3 weeks of meat, any seasoning, alcohol etc. In Daniel 1, he requests to only eat fruits and veggies for 10 days and ends up being in better condition than his Egyptian peers that were eating the fat of the land. Another time in Daniel, he full fasts for 3 days. (Haven't done this one yet)

Anyway, there are lots of great resources in our World Wide Web about the Daniel Fast but it basically breaks down to not eating meat, dairy, anything sugary or processed, alcohol, and anything of seasoning etc. You can eat however, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice and whole grain pasta. it is by no means a very strict fast and some people actually live this way. However removing meat, dairy and seasonings for me proved to be quite a challenge.

Both times that I've done this fast, 10 days and most recently 21 days, I felt like garbage for the first 2 days as my body rid itself of the toxins and addictions of my "normal" diet. My mother experienced a headache for 36 hours when she did it. However, without fail, in a few short days....everything started to change. I'll write more on that tomorrow. The lions in my den are growling...I need something to eat! (that's a reference to daniel in the lions den for those of you who might not get me yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment